Saturday 26 December 2015

ALL TIME MOST POPULAR BLOGS - SUNSET on Windpower - Painting Progression

ALL TIME 2nd MOST POPULAR BLOG
Originally published 
9th May 2013 


SUNSET 
ORIGINAL PAINTING 

8" x 6" on Windpower
To view my Gallery or purchase this painting  visit Daily Paintworks






 
Today's task for Leslie Saeta's Art marketing class is to create a new painting and take progress photos at intervals. This month I've been painting PEOPLE'S CHOICE for my online DPW Gallery but today I felt like cutting loose and doing a natural abstract. I find it quite fascinating to watch a painting change, especially an abstract.Here are 7 progress photos showing the birth of "Sunset" 

I've painted from this particular photo session before because I love the colour combinations. It was a from flight over Georgia Strait a couple of years ago. There  is something very magical about aerial photos; because we are partly above the atmosphere the colours are even more spectacular than at sea level.

This time I chose to paint "Alla Prima" which, means a wet on wet or "Bob Ross" type painting done in one sitting with no drying period in between. Because Acrylics dry so quickly they allow you to layer very soon after you have painted a section which gives a crisper, brighter look, different to Oil painting.

I could have stopped at any stage, because I like them all, but after rotating the painting and adding iridescent highlights, I knew this was it. I will try and capture the shimmering highlights in a photo tomorrow. I LOVE the result!


Image # 1 - Blocking in layer. I think this is wonderful and if I was Henri Matisse I may have put it on the side as a record and started again. I pressed on.

Image # 2 - Continuing to block in. Here I am testing which colours make the painting pop, with one eye on the original inspiration photo. I am always aware that upper layers including washes, will change the intensity and colour.
 


Image # 3 - Starting to mix colour and blend. In Oil painting it's a challenge not to create mud at this point, but with Acrylics you just have to wait a few minutes while working on a different area.


Image # 4 - Creating texture. One of the challenges with Acrylics is that they like to suck onto the substrate and flatten. If you are skilled you can create a 3D effect by layering flat surfaces. The only other ways to create depth is to use modelling paste under the paint or to mix thick gel into the paint.

Image # 5 - Thicker texture. This is where the gel comes in.

  
Image # 6 - Intensifying light with iridecent white. I find this type of paint adds a touch of mystery to a painting but it took some time to understand that in photos and from some angles it appears like a dark splodge rather than a pretty flash.


Image # 7 - Finishing with bronze/gold highlights. These are the ones you have to be particularly careful with the shapes they create.


 



I didn't set out to paint like Ruth Andre and we use different media, but the end result is somewhat reminiscent of her style. The original photo had Magenta on the bottom, but this painting works either way, or rotated 90 degrees. The portrait aspect converts "Sunset" into a completely abstract painting and makes the iridescent paint look amazing.

 













 




































Cat # 11315 Sunset
Protected Copyright 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your views and connect on a personal level so feel free to say hi.

All work by Sea Dean protected by International Copyright - No printing, copying, electronic transfer or any form of duplication allowed without written permission from the Artist.